Tongarewa Scholarship at Victoria University of Wellington.
This is a partial fee-based scholarship that will go towards tuition fees for one year of study. Applicants can be either entering their first year of an undergraduate degree or entering a postgraduate degree programme at Victoria University of Wellington. Scholarships are awarded competitively on the basis of academic excellence. Students apply to study in the year following application and will be credited to tuition fees. Shortlisted candidates may be requested to provide additional information to support their application. Recipients of these scholarships are guaranteed an offer of a place in one of our Halls of Residence, provided an accommodation application is received by University Accommodation Wellington by their deadline.
Applicants must be:
- international students who are paying full international fees.
- entering their first year of an undergraduate degree or entering a postgraduate degree.
You are not eligible for this scholarship if you:
- Completed your secondary education at a New Zealand school.
- Completed the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) or Foundation Studies Program.
- Study Abroad or Twinning student from one of our overseas partner universities.
- are in your second year of study in the same degree program at Victoria University of Wellington.
These scholarships are for partial fees. Up to 10 scholarships of NZ$10,000 will be available to both undergraduate and postgraduate recipients and up to 9 scholarships of NZ$5,000 will be available to postgraduate recipients only. These scholarships will be credited to tuition fees after the final withdrawal date for the courses of the trimester the recipient(s) have been awarded for (roughly two weeks in to the trimester.
The only institution this scholarship partners with is Victoria University of Wellington.
The following documentation must be provided as part of your online scholarship application:
- a personal statement of up to 500 words outlining why you wish to study at Victoria University of Wellington, your academic goals and why you merit the scholarship. You should also include any leadership positions and details of your involvement in your school or community.
- full transcripts and other documentation relevant to the qualification type.
- an offer of place from Victoria University of Wellington (conditional or unconditional).
A complete online application must be submitted by 4.30 pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4.30 pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
Applications will normally open one month prior to the closing date. If no application link is provided below, check back again closer to the closing date. Contact Tongarewa Scholarship office if you have any queries.
Apply online for a Tongarewa Scholarship for Trimester 3, 2022 by 1st September.
Apply online for a Tongarewa Scholarship for Trimester 1, 2023 by 30th November.
- Select “Apply online” on your trimester of choice above.
- Enter your Username and Password to complete the application, Your username is the email address and password you initially used to set up your account. (Current students need to use their preferred email address as recorded in Student Records). If you need to update your email address, click on “View/Edit Profile” at the top right of the page after you have logged in, First time users or new applicants, click the “Create New Account” button below in order to register and complete your application.
- The application system uses a dashboard with icons that turn green and show 100% once you have completed them. Each section of your application needs to be showing 100% completion before you can submit.
- Select ‘Submit’ in the top right hand corner to finalize your application. Afterwards, you’ll receive an email confirming your application was successfully submitted. If at any time you decide not to proceed, simply delete the application from your ‘My applications’ tab.
Important to Note
- A completed online application must be submitted by 4:30pm on the closing date. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted. Any required supporting documentation (including references) must also be received by 4:30pm on the closing date in order for the application to be considered.
- All offers of the Scholarship will be conditional upon the recipient being fully enrolled in a full-year program within the stipulated criteria and tenure of the scholarship. No payment of the Scholarship will be made until this condition is met.
- The Scholarship cannot be deferred to a later year.
- The Scholarship may be held in conjunction with other awards.
- Should the recipient withdraw from Victoria University of Wellington during the tenure of this scholarship or fail to achieve a satisfactory progress, partial repayment of the Scholarship will normally be expected. Recipients must advise the Scholarships Office if they intend to withdraw.
- Recipients are expected to act as Ambassadors for Victoria University of Wellington and participate in appropriate events or marketing if requested.
- At the discretion of the Deciding Authority, the application of the terms and conditions of the Scholarship may be modified in special circumstances or to avoid hardship to any candidate for the Scholarship.