Sequel to our post on the many things we can do with coconuts in our kitchen, here I will be sharing a recipe that is dear to me, and even ‘dearer’ to my brother, lol.
These pancakes are delicious, loaded with good stuff and even better they whip up in no time, so this also a quick and healthy breakfast recipe.
I should add that is only quick when you have all materials required at hand lol, I suggest you do your prep a night ahead.
Let’s kick start with the ingredients;
- Fresh coconuts for; milk =I cup, shredded coconuts =1cup and I like to keep the water too.
- Flour =2cups
- Vanilla flavor= 2 teaspoons
- Cinnamon powder (optional) = 1 teaspoon
- Baking powder= 2 teaspoons
- Sugar, white or brown = ¼-1/2 cup or as you like
- Eggs =1 large egg
- Coconut oil (because I want the extra coconutty effect) =1/4 cup
- Butter= as needed for frying
- Dates= ½ cup of shredded and pitted dates
- Raisins (optional) = ¼- 1/2 cup
If you don’t have fresh coconuts, I guess you can substitute what is required with the store-bought options.
This is really not a fussy recipe at all, you know the rules with pancakes already.
If you don’t it is simple; don’t over mix you batter first of all, then let the batter sit for a bit let the flavors get to know each other.
So the process;
- Sift your flour and other dry ingredients into a bowl minus the shredded coconut, raisins and dates.
- Make a well and pour in your wet ingredients. NB; sugar is a wet ingredient.
- Whisk everything, even if the lumps remain it is not a problem. I only add the coconut water at this point simply because I like a lighter batter… this bit is not necessary.
- Throw in your dates, raisins and shredded coconut, fold in and voila…. Set
- Grease your pan with butter and cook on both sides.
Your yummy and healthy pancakes are ready to enjoy.
Side note: if you would prefer something simpler, just substitute some regular all-purpose flour for coconut flour in your buttermilk pancake mix… while the taste and texture is not the same, this method also gives a nice and natural coconutty flavor to your pancakes. Thank you for reading.